Northern are operated by Arriva. We will improve the accessibility of our services to all passengers particularly older and disabled passengers or those who simply need a bit of extra assistance
We are committed to:
- helping people use the railway confidently, taking in to account the wide range of different needs
- continuously improving the quality and awareness of the assistance available
Our commitment to helping all passengers particularly older and disabled passengers to travel more easily includes offering the following services:
- assistance at our stations or on our trains and when making connections
- alternative accessible transport when our stations or train are inaccessible
- clear, consistent and up to date information
Northern participate in the industry wide passenger assist system. This enables us to book assistance for passengers during their journey and to reserve seats or wheel chair spaces on trains where these are available.
Blue Assist is a simple way of asking for assistance, for people who have difficulty communicating. At Northern we are delighted to have joined BlueAssist in trying to make travel easier for those who need it. We have started training all of our frontline people so they are aware of BlueAssist and know how to respond to your needs.
BlueAssist cards will soon be available at all staffed stations. All you have to do is write out a card with your question or request and present it to a member of our staff, who will be happy to help. Alternatively download the BlueAssist app and find out more about the scheme from Blue Assist.
We also recognise other similar regional schemes including the Orange Wallet scheme in Wales and the Bridges Card in the North East.