What assistance is available?
Northern participate in the industry wide passenger assist system. This enables us to book assistance for passengers during their journey and to reserve seats or wheel chair spaces on trains where these are available.
Passenger Assist allows you to:
- request assistance from a member of staff in advance for getting on or off the train, or for climbing stairs
- request help entering or leaving the station from the taxi rank (where we have staff available)
- request a portable ramp for getting on or off the train
- request a member of staff to provide guidance to a blind or visually-impaired passenger
- request a wheelchair to assist with transferring from the platform to the train (available at larger stations only)
- book seat reservations, including the booking of dedicated wheelchair spaces
- make onward travel reservations on services operated by other train companies where reservations are available
- request assistance to and from connecting services
- purchase travel tickets
- check the accessibility and facilities on both our rolling stock and at our stations
- We will provide assistance, when booked through Passenger Assist, at any station during the hours that trains are scheduled to serve that station.
- Out of hours assistance may be provided by alternative means or via alternative transport if employees are not available to assist. In special circumstances where there is no viable alternative we may consider sending a member of staff to assist you where it is both reasonable and practical to do so.
To Book Assistance
To book assistance please see call our assisted travel team on 0800 138 5560 they are open 24 hours a day when our trains are running.
Alternatively complete our online booking form here
Many of our stations are staffed and all our trains have conductors. They are there to help so please don't hesitate to ask. We will ensure they are sufficiently resourced to meet the booked travel assistance requirements.
We can book assistance for your whole rail journey, even where part of the journey is with other train operators or where our services call at stations not managed by us.
We recommend that you give us 24 hours notice for us to arrange assistance. However, we understand that this is not always possible. We will always provide assistance where reasonably practicable. Please contact station or on-train staff, use a Help Point or contact our Customer Experience Centre.
If you'd like to book assistance on 25 December for travel on 26 December, please contact our Customer Experience Centre on 0800 200 60 60. We will, of course, try to provide assistance if you haven't managed to book.