What assistance is available?
Northern participate in a system called Passenger Assist which older and disabled customers can use to arrange assistance. This is an industry-wide system used to book assistance at stations for passengers during their journey.
Passenger Assist allows you to:
- request assistance getting on or off the train
- request assistance entering or leaving the station
- request a portable ramp for getting on or off the train
- book seat reservations, including the booking of dedicated wheelchair spaces
- make onward travel reservations on services operated by other train companies where reservations are available
- request assistance to and from connecting services
- purchase tickets
To book assistance
To book assistance please see call our assisted travel team on 0800 138 5560 or complete our online booking form.
Many of our stations are staffed and all our trains have conductors. They are there to help so please don't hesitate to ask. We will ensure they are sufficiently resourced to meet the booked travel assistance requirements.
We recommend that you give us 24 hours notice for us to arrange assistance. However, we understand that this is not always possible. We will always provide assistance where reasonably practicable.
Blue Assist is a simple way of asking for assistance, for people who have difficulty communicating. At Northern we are delighted to have joined BlueAssist in trying to make travel easier for those who need it.
BlueAssist cards will soon be available at all staffed stations. All you have to do is write out a card with your question or request and present it to a member of our staff, who will be happy to help. Alternatively download the BlueAssist app. Find out more about the scheme from Blue Assist.